Bork bork bork
I bought the first season of The Muppet Show about a year ago. I'm not sure if this requires justification, but I can say that I am a big fan of The Storyteller, Labyrinth, various other Jim Henson productions... Also, it was rather cheap, and I'd always wanted to see some. I've been informed that I watched the show when I was young, but, unlike The Storyteller, I don't at all remember it.
Anyway, I watched a bit soon after I bought it, and it was excellent, but then my viewing got interrupted. I just restarted this week, figuring it would be something nice to return to after finishing Twin Peaks... And it's still excellent! It's not quite so juvenilely-targeted as I suspected before buying it, but then I'm probably not the greatest judge of that, seeing as I have been known to enjoy such shows as The Fairly Odd Parents, Angry Beavers and Danny Phantom.
Every episode features a different guest-star, and that is often the weakest part, especially when they start singing or dancing. On the other hand, there's also always a scene of Kermit casually talking to the guest star, which is often pretty good. Either way, it varies depending on the person in question; the episode I just finished watching contained Candice Bergen, so naturally it was excellent. Paul Williams and Bruce Forsyth were also pretty good, and there's a Vincent Price episode in this season, which I'm rather looking forward to.
Other awesome things include Statler and Waldorf (who appear fairly hilariously in the DVD menu), and Rowlf the Dog, who is wonderfully charming. I'll embed a particularly excellent clip of Rowlf, if I can pull off the embedding thing.
Unfortunately, one of the worst things about the series/DVD is... Laugh Track! It's pretty hideous, often inappropriate, and just a bit too loud. Stilllll, what can you do.
Anyway, I recommend you watch this, whoever you are:

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home