Friday, June 10, 2005

I question your innocence!

After seeing Mirza's recent posts, fine evaluations of recent albums, I felt kinda tempted to do the same.

Unfortunately, I quickly realised that I hadn't heard many recent albums, and looking at older albums that I liked wouldn't have the same kind of effect.

I also realised that I don't tend to listen to songs in their entire albumic context, except in the cases of a few prog-rock concept albums like Dark Side Of The Moon and Hounds Of Love, and even then I only tend to do it once or twice, then just listen to the songs scattered around as per usual. This makes it hard to evaluate an album as an album, rather than a bunch of songs, and to relate it to prior albums or anything like that.

The above realisation also led me to realise that I tend to only acquire entire albums, as opposed to various bits of albums, when I particularly like the album for whatever reason, or think it's the kind of album that hangs together as an album particularly well... Which is fair enough, but probably means that any attempt to pick albums to review would result a disproportionately large number of albums that I like a very lot.

And finally I realised that my attempts to give my opinions about albums wouldn't show any of the flair or finesse or Mirza's. So I decided not to. For now at least. Maybe I'll just do a general rant about some artists I've been listening to sometime.

In unrelated news, I wish Wirehog would work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home