Saturday, September 02, 2006

A luscious mix of words and tricks.

Ohmygod Jeff Buckley!

Ohmygod Shins!

Ohmygod Joanna Newsom!

Ohmygod Sparks!

I love music.

Also, I saw Waking Life yesterday, and it was fabulous.

More fabulous yet was the 6 hour conversation in which I and two other excellent dudes were afterwards engaged until 4:30 am.


Actually, I think I need to expand on that Joanna Newsom comment. When I first heard some stuff by her, I had the not-unusual reaction of not much liking it. Strange voice, and all that. It took a cover of Peach Plum Pear by Final Fantasy to make me realise that she's a freakin' genius, with some insanely good music, brilliant lyrics, and, perhaps now that I'm used to it, a really beautiful singing voice. (The Decemberists made a brilliant cover of Bridges And Balloons too, though I only heard that once I was already absolutely converted.)

Her next album, Ys, was just leaked a few days ago, so naturally I downloaded one of the songs, Emily. Now, personally I am a huge fan of excessively long songs, but I was really surprised when I saw that this next album was only 5 songs, but 55 minutes long. After all The Milk Eyed Mender had nothing over 6 minutes long. Still, I never doubted that it would also be insanely fabulous. And... And it is! Well, that one song I've heard is anyway!

Anyway, the moral of this story is, if you haven't heard any Joanna Newsom, do so. And if you have, but didn't like it... Do so again, damnit! (Hear Some, that is, not Hear Some And Not Like It.)

3 Comments:

At 9/02/2006 4:36 pm, Blogger [-o-] said...

Ohmigawd! Joanna Newsom!

I'm downloading Ys as we speak, based on a recommendation that I read 5 minutes ago on an unrelated blog. How weird is that?

Though, to be honest, I have heard her stuff once or twice, and loved it, in a weird voice, Björk sorta way, but with harp! Yay for torrents, I guess is my point.

 
At 9/03/2006 4:32 am, Blogger International Woman of Mystery said...

*hands down agrees with wojit re: newsom*

i cracked up laughing first time i heard her voice - but i soon became addicted to reading her lyrics for i think a week straight.

i think she's tremendously exciting........

*pops!*

 
At 9/13/2006 8:17 am, Blogger Wojit said...

Woo!

Rhyming Irritable with Dirigible has to be the best move ever. Nice to see The Decemberists also used the word in Sons And Daughters, which I've also been obsessed with for the last few weeks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home