Saturday, October 01, 2005

Imaginary vocals exist only in the imagination of the imaginer.

I had an odd dream last night, which I am just boring enough to recount here.


Basically... I found myself having been put in charge of marketing for a vast, self-contained, self-sustaining underground city, unimaginatively called Atlantis. The architect for this city, Tom Cruise, had just finished another, only slightly less ambitious project that, due to poor design and rising sea levels, was quickly flooded and destroyed. Atlantis was to be built underneath the Fisher Library, which was, in actual fact, that corporate headquarters of the company that commissioned its construction.

Anyway, the day had come for the grand opening of the city. I walked up to the entrance of the library/headquarters, and was urgently told, by one of the many guards standing around, that Tom Cruise, who was to run the city, had already made his way down into it, and I was to follow. As I started making my way to the stairs I noticed, outside the building, a large tidal wave heading towards us, carrying with it a strong sense that it represented something close to the end of the world. All the guards ran to hold themselves against the doors, to keep the wave out, but as they were sliding doors I knew it would do no good.

Without waiting to see what happened, I made my way down the stairs, and came to a corridor, but all the lights were out and I didn't have a clue where I was going. I noticed all the walls were made out of some kind of opaque glass, with big gaps in-between panels. It was obviously not very watertight.

The corridor continued on, always inclining downwards, and I soon came to a fork, and decided to go left. After going that way for a while, I reached a point where the entire corridor was flooded. I decided to try swimming through it anyway, to see if it came out somewhere, figuring I could come back if I started to run out of breath.

I swam down the corridor for quite a while, managing my breath much better than I can in real life, but eventually I realised I had come too far, and I couldn't get back without drowning. So, I pushed on. After a while longer, I realised I was Frank Zappa. When I was just about to run out of breath I found myself in a big room, and decided to try swimming up. It turned out the roof was some kind of a net, so I pulled myself through it and arrived in a big chamber, complete with breathable air.

At the front of this chamber was a computer terminal, turned on, emitting the only light in the room. I went over to it, and found on it a program that was apparently for managing the entire city. It had a map of the city, with the location of everything in it, including all the living things (Mainly just animals from the city zoo, roaming around.) It had controls for lights, opening doors, etc, and a button saying "Smite." Then, just as I was turning the lights on, I woke up.

Anyway, that was fun.

3 Comments:

At 10/01/2005 9:15 pm, Blogger Stella Orientis said...

I am amazed that you actually wrote "continued on". For shame!

 
At 10/02/2005 1:03 am, Blogger Wojit said...

Pfft. It could've continued to the left or something. Vital semantic information was conveyed by that on!

 
At 10/03/2005 6:42 pm, Blogger Stella Orientis said...

To your failed attempt at semantic justification I say "tcha!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home