Thursday, March 19, 2009

Vivid Sydney? More like Vivid Enofest.

I don't know when this Vivid Sydney festival dealie thing got announced, but I'm fairly prepared to be excited about it. The most obvious reason is, of course: Brian Eno. I love Brian Eno. Yeah, I know, I love his Music more than his Conceptual Generative Visual Artworks and whatnot, but I still love the man. And there still is a musical element to the whole deal, even if there's no hope of him personally pulling out the warm jets (musical artists mentioned so far include Battles, who I might actually see this time, and Ladytron, who... Well, they have that one song...? Eh. Also, Reggie Watts? Wasn't he just here?)

Other reasons for excitement are:
1) I'm a sucker for light shows.
2) I'm a sucket for pyrotechnics.
3) Well, look... I love the Sydney Festival. I really do. It's great times. But I would have one major complaint about it, one thing that I just can't forgive, and that's this: It's in Summer. I don't like Summer. It's too damn hot. Now actually, this partly makes me appreciate the Sydney Festival more, for giving me something to actually look forward to during summer, even for allowing me to actually look forward to summer itself. For the past two years, my dethusiasm for summer has actually been outweighed by my enthusiasm for the Sydney Festival. But still... Still... If there could be something like that in WINTER?

I love winter. It's cold, and I like this. But I also like winter at night. Because it's reaaaaally cold. And dark. I like cold and dark. Look, the point is I think I'll appreciate this Vivid Sydney business for giving me some excuse for being out at night in winter.

Information on this thing is kinda sparse right now. I suspect it was only really announced todayish or something. Maybe there won't actually be much to the whole deal. Honestly, I'm not expecting that this will be anything like comparable in scope and awesomeness to the Sydney Festival, especially not in its first year. But on the other hand, if this becomes a thing... Well, I figure they're off to a friggin' good start bringing Brian Eno in to curate. Anyway, we'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home